Washington County police shootings, 27 between 2001 & 2011

David Gildersleeve

David Gildersleeve

David Ernest Gildersleeve, 34. On 2/22/2001 was shot and apprehended in the 6700 block of Southwest Oleson Road in the Raleigh Hills neighborhood, just west of the Multnomah County line. Police say that about 1 p.m.

Gildersleeve approached Mary R. Finzel, 49, of Oregon City, in the Franz Bakery parking lot at 8440 S.E. 45th Ave. near Southeast Johnson Creek Boulevard in Portland. Soon after, a patrol officer spotted the stolen 1989 BMW in downtown Portland.

The officer, Portland Officer Robert H. Pippen, followed at a distance and radioed other officers for assistance. The chase went south on Interstate 5. At least two Portland patrol cars were chasing Gildersleeve as he exited at Southwest Multnomah Boulevard.

As Gildersleeve sped through the residential neighborhood near Hideaway Park, he lost control of the car and crashed. One of the officers rammed the BMW with his patrol cruiser to stop Gildersleeve from escaping. When Gildersleeve came out of the car with a handgun, Pippen fired at him, hitting him once in the upper right leg. The shooting was ruled justifiable.

In February 2002, Gildersleeve was sentenced to 25 years in prison as a dangerous offender. Gildersleeve has an extensive criminal record, including theft, robbery, drugs, assault, car theft and escape.

Robert Lundy Smith. On 4/6/2001 two deputies shot Smith, 39, one with a 9 mm handgun and the other with a less-lethal beanbag round, in the 1500 block of Southwest 196th Avenue in Aloha.

Deputies in several patrol cars pursued Smith for about 10 minutes, reaching speeds of up to 60 mph through residential areas when he refused to pull over after making a right turn without signaling. A deputy had been following Smith after receiving a complaint that he was harassing a couple who had fired him from a Domino’s Pizza.

The pursuit ended in a cul-de-sac on Southwest 196th near Rock Road after a deputy rammed his patrol car into Smith’s Ford Escort. Smith got out of the car and raised his hands above his head but refused orders to get on the ground. He eventually reached his right hand into his coat pocket and started to pull out a black object, which turned out to be a cell phone. Deputy Michael Kastelic thought it could be gun and fired a round from his 9 mm handgun, striking Smith in the stomach. Sgt. Chris Fink simultaneously fired and struck Smith with a beanbag round from a shotgun.

During the shooting, a butter knife and steak knife fell to the ground. Smith told detectives he was trying to pull the knives out of his pocket, to show deputies that he meant no harm, when he was shot and the knives went flying.

The district attorney ruled that the deputies acted reasonably when they shot Smith. Instead of prosecuting Smith, authorities sent him to a diversion program available only if a defendant is a first-time offender and hasn’t injured anyone.

READ – Deputies shoot uncooperative suspect following pursuit, Washington County Sheriff’s office press release

Kirmet Faglier

Kirmet Faglier

Kirmet Kellion Faglier, 37, was shot in the chest on 5/9/2001 at an apartment complex by police responding to a fight between two men. When Deputies Doug Cook, Ed Rawlinson and David Marzilli arrived, the fight had ended.

They were given permission to enter Apt. 360E by a man and a woman they were questioning. As a precaution, Cook searched the apartment, where he found Faglier in a bedroom closet. Cook backed out of the bedroom with Faglier following him into the hallway. Faglier pointed a loaded .45-caliber handgun at the three deputies. Cook then fired two shots from his handgun. One of the shots struck Faglier in the chest. Faglier, who had five loaded guns in the apartment, apparently thought that previous convictions in Washington state would make him eligible for a “three-strikes” conviction and lead to a life sentence, police said. Faglier had yelled that he was going to shoot all the deputies in the apartment. He also said he had dynamite and would blow up the apartment.

In December 2001, Faglier pleaded guilty in Washington County Circuit Court to multiple gun, drug and theft charges.

Sengsadaphet “Seng” Phongsavanh. On 7/1/2001 three Beaverton police officers shot and killed Phongsavanh, 29, in the parking lot of the Overlook Apartments on Southwest Osprey Drive in Beaverton after he charged them wielding a 14-inch butcher knife. Officers Richard Rayniak, Ty Hanlon, and Nathaniel “Scott” Warren fired 20 bullets, half of them striking Phongsavanh.

The Washington County District Attorney’s Office ruled the shooting justifiable.

On 10/31/2001 Eugene Kirk Lockwood, 58, was shot and killed after a 6-1/2-hour standoff at the Aloha Station Tavern on Southwest 185th Avenue in Aloha. Lockwood died at the scene from a single gunshot wound to the head after he pointed a handgun at Washington County sheriff’s Sgt. Gil Gregg, who fired one shot from his .308-caliber rifle.

The Washington County district attorney’s office ruled that the shooting was justified.

Lockwood and his wife co-owned the Aloha Station for 20 years.

Rodney Ray Layman, 31 was fatally shot on 12/1/2001 after a short car chase led to an apartment complex parking lot in the 13500 block of Southwest Jenkins Road in Beaverton, where Layman lived and worked.

Police and eyewitnesses, including Layman’s mother and stepbrother, gave conflicting accounts of the shooting. Witnesses said Layman held both hands in the air and took only four steps toward Deputy Shawn Blalack when he was shot.

But Blalack told detectives that he feared for his life as Layman, 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds, walked at him aggressively with his left hand at his side, where he might be able to grab a weapon. Layman ignored his orders to stop and put his hands in the air, the deputy said.

An autopsy showed Layman’s blood-alcohol level was 0.17, more than twice the legal limit. A Washington County grand jury declined to indict the deputy, and a federal lawsuit was dismissed in October 2003.

Layman was a painter for a construction company for about the 10 years.

Danny Flannigan

Danny Flannigan

Daniel Leon Flannigan, 38, of Hillsboro was shot by a Washington County Sheriff’s Office sniper on 7/24/2002 after a two-hour standoff outside the Brookwood Firs apartments at 140 N.E. 47th Ave. in Hillsboro.

The standoff began about 7 p.m. when Flannigan bumped his car into a car driven by his 17-year-old estranged girlfriend.

Police surrounded Flannigan, and a standoff ensued. About 9 p.m., Flannigan walked swiftly toward a group of police officers. Sgt. Gil MacGregor shot him once from about 265 feet away.

Flannigan had a history of run-ins with the law, depression and attention deficit/hyperactive disorder, according to police reports.

Prosecutors did not pursue criminal charges against the officer.

Flannigan graduated from Aloha High School and served in the Army.

Don Charles Eisfeld, 37, died of a single bullet to the head on 1/5/2003 after he shot up his neighborhood and raised his gun toward members of the Washington County Tactical Negotiations Team.

Two members of the team — Beaverton police Officer Ty Hanlon and Washington County sheriff’s Sgt. Greg Kisor — fired simultaneously at Eisfeld.

Initially, Forest Grove police responded to a report of a suicidal man in the Quail Run Estates manufactured home park at 3300 Main St. After finding Eisfeld in a bedroom armed with a rifle and handgun, they left and called for the interagency tactical negotiations team.

Police led dozens of neighbors from the area just before Eisfeld started firing out the windows and door of his home. Police said Eisfeld fired at least 30 rounds into nearby homes and vehicles. No one was injured.

When Eisfeld came out of his home and pointed his rifle from the hip toward officers, Hanlon and Kisor fired at Eisfeld.

An autospy showed that Eisfeld was intoxicated at the time, with a blood-alcohol level of 0.13 percent.

Eisfeld had served in the Oregon Army National Guard. In 1991, he moved to Forest Grove, where he was a landscaper for Pacific University for 12 years.

Warren Dudley Sercombe, 46, was killed by a Washington County sheriff’s corporal on 2/21/2004 outside Sercombe’s home in the 15100 block of Northwest Oakmont Loop.

Cpl. David Lyle told investigators he fired at Sercombe when the man appeared to reach for a handgun lying on top of a car in the driveway.

Michael Mullins

Michael Mullins

Neighbors in the Oak Hills subdivision in Cedar Mill called police when they heard explosions and saw Sercombe breaking windows in front of his house.

The district attorney’s office ruled the shooting justified. Investigators found detonating cord in Sercombe’s boot and waistband.

Michael James Mullins, 48, was shot on 7/7/2004 after turning toward police with a shotgun in hand. Mullins was fired earlier in the day, prompting him to run over his boss. Mullins then smashed into four trucks at the business, got a shotgun from his father’s house and walked along Northeast Sunrise Lane, frightening residents.

When he refused to put down the gun and turned toward police, Hillsboro police officer Michael Thompson shot him in the abdomen.

In April 2005, Mullins was sentenced to seven years in prison and ordered to pay $50,000 in restitution to his boss for running over his feet and legs.

Konrad Radys

Konrad Radys

Konrad Marshall Radys, 37, was shot at by Deputy Adam Rorick on 10/19/2004 while fleeing in a stolen car.

Rorick had pulled over a stolen Cadillac Eldorado just outside WinCo Foods, at 7330 N.E. Butler St. in Orenco Station area of Hillsboro. Police said Radys obeyed commands to get out of the car and lie on the ground but suddenly jumped back into the car and drove off. He ditched the car in a nearby Marriott parking lot and was tracked to a nearby field by police dogs.

Rorick told investigators he thought Radys was trying to run over him, so he fired in self defense. At least three shots hit in the area of the car’s back left fender. Radys had taken the Cadillac from a driveway in Aloha the day of the shooting when the owner left the keys in the ignition and ran inside to get a cell phone.

Only a couple of hours earlier, Radys had been released from jail because of crowding after being picked up on a warrant for stealing another vehicle.

In November 2004, Radys was sentenced to two years in prison.

Kerry Prowse

Kerry Prowse

Kerry Brent Prowse, 35, was shot in the leg on 4/14/2005 after threatening to run down a Washington County sheriff’s deputy with a truck.

Just before 9 p.m., Washington County Deputy Jarrod McCreary tried to pull over an orange Ford pickup near Southwest 107th Avenue and Beaverton-Hillsdale Highway. The deputy recognized Prowse, who has multiple warrants out for his arrest.

Prowse took off, leading deputies on a chase along Oregon 217, onto Southwest Barnes Road and into the Catlin Gabel School parking lot. A passenger in the truck bailed out. McCreary fired at least one shot when the truck headed toward him.

In August 2005, Prowse was convicted of 17 crimes including forgery and stealing a vehicle. He was sentenced to more than three years in prison.

Lukus Glenn

Lukus Glenn

Lukus Glenn, 18, died on 9/16/2006 after being shot eight times by two Washington County sheriff’s deputies outside his Tigard-area home. Glenn’s family called 9-1-1 after the drunken teen, armed with a pocket knife, broke windows and made threats.

When Glenn refused to put down the knife and moved toward the house, deputies fatally shot him.

The district attorney’s office upheld the deputies’ actions and declined to send the case to a grand jury.

READ – Oregonian indexed stories about Lukus Glenn
READ – What happened to Lukus Glenn, site curated by MHAP.
READ – posts about Lukus Glenn on this web site.

Neil Bruce Marcy, 45, was shot to death by officers from the Forest Grove and Cornelius police departments on 10/8/2006 after he confronted them with a gun in each hand outside an apartment complex.

Marcy had called 9-1-1 and said a shooting was about to take place. Officers went to Marcy’s home in the College Place Apartments at 2607 21st Ave. and pleaded with him to come out peacefully.

Authorities said Marcy repeatedly held a gun to his own head, randomly threatening to start shooting. Marcy fired one round into his ceiling and told police, “You guys are gonna have to kill me. We’re gonna see how good your target practice has been.”

Marcy asked whether the building had been evacuated of neighboring tenants, then left his apartment with a gun in each hand, pointed skyward and said he was ready to see his Lord.

He lowered the firearms in the direction of the police and was shot by Forest Grove Officers Matt Smith and Tom Siciliano, and Cornelius Officer Doug Schuetz.

Two of the officers had helped Marcy find treatment in the past.

The district attorney’s office concluded the shooting was a suicide because Marcy wanted police to kill him.

Jordan Case

Jordan Case

Jordan Laird Case, 20, died on 10/21/2006 after being shot in the head by a Washington County sheriff’s deputy.

A Tualatin woman called 9-1-1 after awakening to find Case in her apartment. She and her 8-year-old daughter had to fight him off before police arrived.

When Case reached inside the deputy’s patrol car and tried to grab a locked gun, he was fatally shot.

The woman told police that Case had said he was high on psychedelic mushrooms.

The district attorney’s office ruled the shooting justified.

READ – Oregonian indexed stories about Jordan Case.
READ – posts about Jordan Case on this web site.

Brandon Scruggs

Brandon Scruggs

Brandon Scruggs, 14, was shot on 1/1/2007 by Deputy Kevin Mitcham after Scruggs aimed a rifle at the officer.

Mitcham stopped a speeding car on Southeast Tualatin Valley Highway shortly after 11:30 p.m. As the teenage driver got out of the car, he pulled out a Russian SKS semiautomatic rifle, refused orders to put it down and yelled, “I just want to die, shoot me.”

Sheriff’s officials said Mitcham fired four times when Scruggs crouched, shouldered the rifle and began to take aim at the deputy. Scruggs was shot in the wrist and abdomen.

Scruggs recovered and finished the eighth grade at Conestoga Middle School, but his parents had to provide transportation and 24-hour supervision. The teen said he was depressed and wanted a police officer to shoot him when he drove away from home in his mom’s car and with his dad’s rifle after his parents went to bed.

In August 2007, he was convicted of unlawful use of a weapon unlawful possession of a firearm and unlawful use of a vehicle. He was later sentenced to probation.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Brandon Scruggs.

Songseumsack Tanovan, 53, died of two gunshot wounds on 5/16/2007 after six officers opened fire in the 6600 block of Southeast Wrenfield Street in Hillsboro.

Tanovan’s son had called 9-1-1 to report his father might be having a stroke.

When help arrived, Tanovan shot a rifle at paramedics, a police car and randomly into his neighborhood. When he fired at police from his front porch, the officers shot back.

The officers were Hillsboro police officers Mike Johnston and Chris Rasmussen, Forest Grove police Sgt. Dean Foster, Washington County Sheriff’s deputies John Egg and Charlie Irving, plus sheriff’s detective Chad Lotman.

The district attorney’s office determined the shooting was justified.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Songseumsack Tanovan.

Steve G. Stanturf, 37, was fatally shot on 11/24/2007 by two Washington County sheriff’s deputies outside his Aloha home.

The district attorney’s office determined the shooting was justified because Stanturf fired three shots from his front porch at deputies responding to a report that a man was drunk, armed and suicidal after a domestic disturbance.

The deputies — Cpl. Steve Schuster and Cpl. Mark Trost — returned fire, and Stanturf was hit by three of the four shots.

Stanturf lived in Springfield before moving to Aloha in 2004, and was a contractor for a construction company.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Steve Stanturf.

Shane Grundmeyer

Shane Grundmeyer

Shane Miguel Grundmeyer, 39, was fatally shot on 2/17/2008 by two deputies outside his Cooper Mountain house shortly after 5:30 p.m.

Deputies Jamison Goetz and Cade Edwards were waiting for Grundmeyer on Southwest 175th Avenue, near a gravel road leading to his house, when he came by “at a pretty high rate of speed.”

About 15 minutes earlier, a Beaverton police officer tried to stop Grundmeyer’s car because the man had an outstanding felony warrant on various identity theft and methamphetamine charges. Grundmeyer stopped long enough to drop off his daughter and her friend, both 14, then took off in his car. The Beaverton officer stayed with the girls and radioed dispatchers.

The deputies knew that an informant had told Beaverton police that Grundmeyer “was armed and was not going to go peacefully,” authorities said.

When Grundmeyer didn’t stop for deputies on Southwest 175th Avenue, they followed him to Shadypeak Lane and boxed him in with two patrol cars. Grundmeyer rammed both patrol cars more than once, the deputies said. Sitting in one of the patrol cars was a 17-year-old girl on a ride-along for a school project.

At some point, the deputies got out of the cars with their guns drawn and ordered Grundmeyer to stop. When he didn’t, they opened fire.

The shooting was ruled justifiable by the Washington County District Attorney’s Office. Grundmeyer was a floor covering installer who operated Shaneco Floor Covering.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Shane Grundmeyer.

Shawn Hankins

Shawn Hankins

Shawn Michael Hankins, 33, was shot on 7/28/2008 after driving his truck at a Hillsboro police officer.

Police were called to the 800 block of Northeast Kathryn Street about 3 a.m. after Hankins allegedly assaulted his girlfriend. Hankins got into his truck and drove away with police following.

Sgt. Bruce Kelley and Officer Denise Lemen, were out of their patrol cars on Northeast Barberry Drive near Hawthorne Avenue when Hankins drove his truck toward them.

The sergeant said the truck was coming directly at him, with Lemen backing him up, as the officers yelled at Hankins to stop. Kelley fired six times as bullets hit the windshield, driver’s side door post and driver’s side window of the truck.

Hankins sustained bullet wounds to his neck, lip and arms.

In January 2009, Hankins was convicted of numerous charges and sentenced to five years in prison.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Shawn Hankins.

Rudie Wilhelm

Rudie Wilhelm

Rudie Wilhelm III, 54, called 9-1-1 about 5:30 a.m. on 8/13/2009 saying he wanted to kill himself.

Beaverton police arrived at his home in the 9700 block of Rodeo Place a short time later. Wilhelm fired a shotgun in their direction, prompting Sgt. Neil Stellingwerf to return fire.

The shooting was ruled justifiable.

Wilhelm headed Rudie Wilhelm Warehouse Co., an Oregon food warehouse that began business in 1910 in downtown Portland and closed its doors in Milwaukie in May 2008.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Rudie Wilhelm.

Shawn Schumacher, 28, was fatally shot on 11/22/2009 by police after randomly shooting a man in Hillsboro.

Police say Schumacher sped recklessly through Hillsboro, sideswiping other vehicles with his 1997 Honda Civic and firing pistol shots.

One fatally injured Danny LeGore, 55.

Officers chased Schumacher to Cornelius where he crashed his car and ran. He opened fire on the three officers, who fired back and killed Schumacher.

The officers were Washington County Deputy Daniel Charter, and Cornelius police officers Bill Russell and Craig Wellhouser. The shooting was ruled justifiable.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Shawn Schumacher.

Daniel Barga

Daniel Barga

Daniel Joseph Barga, 24, died in police custody on 4/10/2010 from “excited delirium” due to the toxic effects of psilocybin, or hallucinogenic mushrooms, according to the state medical examiner.

A homeowner told police that a partially clothed man had confronted him outside his Cornelius home in the 3000 block of North Irvine Street and was behaving erratically, threatening violence.

Cornelius Officer Mark Jansen found Barga in the backyard covered with blood and refusing to cooperate, police said. Jansen used a Taser to try to subdue Barga, but the stun-gun had no effect. Jansen tried to wrestle Barga to the ground, but Barga reportedly ran.

Forest Grove Sgt. Dean Foster and Officer Scott King joined the chase, and the officers used Tasers and pepper spray on Barga, who kept struggling. Barga then stopped breathing while being taken into custody.

Medics transported Barga to a hospital, where he later died.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Daniel Barga.

Sepp Dietrich Tokanaga

Sepp Dietrich Tokanaga

Sepp Dietrich Tokanaga, 46, was shot twice in the leg on 6/3/2010 during a shootout with Hillsboro police and is accused of shooting Officer Justin Morris in the shoulder.

At 4:49 p.m., Hillsboro officer Ryan Johnson was dispatched to a welfare check in the 600 block of North First Avenue, police said. The officer knocked on the door. Shots were fired inside the residence and the officer called for cover.

Hillsboro Officer Justin Morris and Washington County Sheriff’s Deputy Cade Edwards responded to the residence. Authorities say Tokanaga fired twice at officers, once from a handgun and once from an M-1 rifle. Morris and Edwards each fired five rounds from their M-4 rifles.

Friends of Tokanaga, who knew him during his military service in Iraq in 2005 and 2006, said they saw their friend’s mental condition deteriorate leading up to the shooting.

Tokanaga, 45, faces 10 criminal counts including two charges of attempted aggravated murder. His trial is set for November 2011.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Sepp Tokanaga.

Hillsboro police officer Jesus Rios-Calderon

Hillsboro police officer Jesus Rios-Calderon

Diosdado Pabingwit, 51, was fatally shot on 6/17/2010 by Hillsboro Officer Jesus Rios-Calderon at J.P. Cuisine, a restaurant Pabingwit co-owned with his wife, Jocelyn.

Authorities said Diosdado Pabingwit, armed with a knife, told Rios-Calderon he just killed his wife and told the officer to kill him.

Diosdado Pabingwit reportedly refused to drop the weapon and advanced toward Rios-Calderon, who then fired one shot at Diosdado Pabingwit, striking him in the chest.

Pabingwit later died from the gunshot wound at OHSU hospital.

The Washington County District Attorney’s Office found Rios-Calderon’s use of force justified.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Diosdado Pabingwit.

Bryan Guerrero, 31, was fatally shot in the head by a Washington County sheriff’s deputy who reportedly saw Guerrero threatening 22-year-old Michael Guerra with a knife.

On 6/20/2010 Deputy Juan Elenes went to the home, in the 1500 block of Northwest 88th Avenue, after a report of a fight at the residence.

From outside the house, Elenes began talking to Guerra through a partially opened window, when Guerrero came into the room and grabbed Guerra from behind.

Elenes saw Guerrero was holding a six-inch kitchen knife and shouted at him to drop the weapon. Elenes shot Guerrero once through the window. The bullet struck Guerrero in the head, and he was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Washington County District Attorney’s office said Elenes’ use of force was legally justified.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Bryan Guerrero.

Mary Diershaw

Mary Diershaw

Mary Jo Diershaw, 50, was shot by a sheriff’s deputy on 7/1/2010 after she reportedly claimed to have a gun and refused to obey deputies’ commands to show her hands.

The bullet, fired by Cpl. Daniel Cardinal, traveled through Diershaw’s arm and into her chest.

The shooting occurred in the parking lot of Aloha Park Apartments, 875 S.W. 185th Ave. in Aloha, after Diershaw called 9-1-1 at 2:30 a.m. to say she had a gun and was going to kill “her,” authorities said. Diershaw hung up on the 9-1-1 operator and did not explain who she was planning to shoot.

When deputies arrived at about 2:34 a.m., they found Diershaw in the apartment parking lot. She told deputies that she had a gun, and kept her right hand in her coat pocket.

When Diershaw refused to show her hands and advanced on the deputies, Cardinal fired a shot, authorities say. Investigators believe Diershaw was pulling a silver-colored comb from her pocket when she was shot.

The shooting was upheld by the Washington County district attorney.

Diershaw is the only woman to be shot by a Washington County law enforcement officer since 2000.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Mary Jo Diershaw.

Leonard Salanitro, 49, was shot once in the abdomen on 9/22/2010, after Salanitro allegedly attacked Deputy Patrick Altiere.

Altiere, along with Deputy James Wheaton responded to a neighborhood dispute in the 17500 block of West Stark Street in Aloha at about 10 p.m.

Altiere and Wheaton were arresting Dale Fortune, 62, of Aloha, for reportedly kicking his neighbor’s car when Fortune resisted.

At least two other people in the home also reportedly fought the deputies’ efforts to arrest Fortune. Preliminary information from the investigation indicates that only one shot was fired.

Salanitro was transported to the hospital and three people at the residence were detained. Altiere was taken to a local hospital, where he was treated and released.

To date [September 30, 2011], Salanitro has not been charged in the incident, nor have authorities explained what prompted the officer to shoot him. The shooting remains under investigation by the Washington County district attorney.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Leonard Salanitro.

Richard Guy Brown, 57, was shot at but uninjured on 10/14/2010 following an apparent road rage incident.

At about 5:30 p.m., Tigard officers Peter Ward and Jarrod Prater reportedly saw a driver, whom police later identified as Brown, ram another vehicle in the Washington Square Mall parking lot near Sears.

During the officer’s initial contact, Brown struck Prater with his truck. The two officers, joined by Officer William Cote, chased after Brown and boxed in his truck near Washington Square Road and Scholls Ferry Road. Cote tried to contact Brown, and was struck by Brown’s truck, prompting Cote to fire a single shot toward Brown. The bullet reportedly grazed the width of Brown’s cell phone, which he was carrying in a pocket. He was not injured.

As the chase went down Hall Boulevard, Brown hit multiple vehicles, authorities said. The chase ended near Southwest Hall Boulevard and Oak Street, where Brown was arrested.

Brown was indicted on charges of attempt to elude, menacing, DUII, reckless driving, second-degree criminal mischief, fourth-degree assault, failure to perform duties as a driver, two counts of recklessly endangering another and two counts of unlawful use of a weapon against another.

Brown’s trial date is scheduled for March 15, 2011.

READ – Oregonian indexed articles about Richard Guy Brown.